Monday, March 13, 2006

Poem inspired

Well I have been a very busy blogger, and my camera has been cooperative; so here is an oldy but a goody. This combined effort by myself and my husband is roughly 20 x 24 inches, acrylic on canvas board, with a wonderful custom frame. It was painted a few years ago and shown in a couple of exhibits.
The poem of the same name was written by Alfred Noyes (1880-1958) and also inspired Loreena McKennitt to write music with which to sing the poem. Oddly enough I was working on the painting when I first heard the song. (I believe it was released right after I began) The 11 stanzas are too long for me to want to type, I wrote it out once on the frame; that was enough! I have a link which will bring you to a site where you can read it if you like, once you are at the site it is poem #17.
The jest of the poem is a tragic love story, this time instead of families causing the poor lovers fate; it is the red coats. It really is worth it to read the tale, even if you do not care for poetry. It's full of action and even some old fashion blood and guts.
So in the painting we have the Highwayman on horse back, Bess the inn keeper's daughter, the 'ribbon' road, and the 'ghostly galleon' in the sky. The scene 'Tim' might have witnessed before he betrayed the lovers and caused their demise. Knowing the poem, and seeing the painting, it is little wonder that my talented husband thought of trees for the frame. As if your a voyeur looking on in secret through the trees, that also gave me the perfect place to write the poem in twisting waves.

No comments: